We’ve had a lot of fun making damper bread over the campfire, as it’s quick, simple and kids love it. You can try it at home over a log fire. For an added festive twist, once cooked, why not give each piece a sprinkling of sugar and cinnamon.
Ingredients (enough for 10 dampers)
• 4 cups self raising flour
• 1½ cups milk (or water)
• ½ teaspoon of salt
• Green sticks (fresh hardwood) will need to be about as long as your arm and as thick as your thumb.
- Mix the ingredients into a soft, light dough by adding the liquid to the flour slowly, constantly mixing with a knife, then knead for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into balls slightly larger than a golf ball.
- Strip the sticks of their bark with a knife to ensure they’re clean.
- Work each portion of the dough onto the end of a stick in the shape of a sausage, making sure to cover the end of the stick.
- Cook each damper over the embers, turning constantly so as not to burn. After about 15-20 minutes, the damper should be golden on the outside and have doubled in size.
- Remove the damper from the stick, break it open and add your own topping; jam, butter or anything you like. Enjoy!